NAMI Sarasota County is seeking board members
NAMI Sarasota County is seeking applicants to serve on its board of directors. This is a three-year volunteer position.
Interested applicants may send an email with CV and expression of interest to: info@NAMISarasotaCounty.org with the subject line “NAMI Sarasota County Board of Directors applicant.”
The National Alliance on Mental Illness of Sarasota County (NAMI Sarasota County) provides support, education, and advocacy for persons with serious mental illnesses and their loved ones. NAMI Sarasota County is an independent, 501(c)(3) nonprofit affiliated with a state and national organization. Its vision states that “Sarasota County is a community in which people with mental illness can recover and lead productive lives without stigma.” Its mission is “to improve the lives of individuals with mental illness and their families and caregivers through support, education, awareness, and advocacy.”
NAMI Sarasota County works to:
- Provide support and education to people with mental illness;
- Support families in Sarasota County with a loved one living with mental illness;
- Advocate at the county, state, and national levels for non-discriminatory access to quality healthcare, housing, education, and employment for people with mental illness;
- Educate the public about mental illness;
- Work to eliminate the stigma of mental illness; and
- Support NAMI’s research and other initiatives at the national level.
NAMI Sarasota County offers up-to-date information, referral, and support on many issues related to mental health through a telephone “warm line” and email service, and maintains a website and resource guide with up-to-date information from the community. It offers four signature programs:
two education courses…
• Peer-to-Peer, for individuals with mental illness, and
• Family-to-Family, for family members.
…and two support groups.
• Connection Recovery Support Group, for individuals in recovery, and
• Family Support Group, for family members.
All of NAMI’s services are offered free of charge.
The NAMI Sarasota County Board of Directors has legal responsibility for NAMI Sarasota County.
The collective responsibilities of the board of directors include:
- Establish the mission and strategic plan for NAMI Sarasota County;
- Adopt an annual budget; be accountable to protect assets and provide proper financial oversight;
- Ensure adequate financial resources to operate the programs and services of NAMI Sarasota County;
- Ensure that NAMI Sarasota County meets its obligations towards its members, contributors, program participants, staff, and other community stakeholders;
- Enhance the organization’s public standing, including serving as emissaries of NAMI Sarasota County;
- Establish policies and procedures necessary for the stable operation of NAMI Sarasota County;
- Support the affiliate staff and annually review his/her job performance; and
- Build a competent board by articulating prerequisites for candidates, orienting new members, and periodically and comprehensively evaluating their own performance.
The individual responsibilities of each director as a member of the team:
- Participate in at least 75% of all monthly board meetings annually* (under the bylaws, missing two consecutive board meetings without excuse is cause for removal);
- Be an active member of at least one (preferably two) board committees, attending at least 75% of the committee meetings*;
- Serve as the public face of the organization promoting NAMI’s mission and programs within the community;
- Be informed about the organization’s mission, services, policies, and programs;
- Keep up-to date on developments in the field of mental health;
- Actively participate in fundraising on behalf of NAMI Sarasota County;
- Review agenda and supporting materials prior to board and committee meetings;
- Contribute to meaningful consensus; ask timely questions and provide constructive feedback to the appropriate person;
- Assist in the recruitment, orientation, and ongoing education of board members; and
- Participate in the annual meeting of the membership.
*Must notify board president or committee chair in advance of inability to attend a meeting.
The desired knowledge/skills of a director of the board:
- A strong commitment to the mission of NAMI Sarasota County.
- Preferably, personal experience with mental illness (either having experienced a mental illness, having a family member with mental illness, and/or being a mental health provider or mental health advocate);
- Preferably, background/knowledge in one or more of the following areas: public education, advocacy, fundraising, strategic planning, finance/accounting, public relations, marketing and/or and social marketing, law, or medicine;
- A demonstrated interest in promoting NAMI Sarasota through community outreach;
- A willingness to develop skills related to board responsibilities, such as cultivating and soliciting funds, cultivating and recruiting board members and other volunteers, reading and understanding financial statements, and learning about substantive issues in mental health; and
- An ability and willingness to donate at least an average of 15 hours per month to NAMI Sarasota County in the performance of board responsibilities, as stipulated herein.